Pages

9.13.2014

Transformation (sa-)Tuesday: Living/Family Room

Our Living Room Transformation:



It's Satuesday today which means it's actually Saturday but I'm posting a transformation post so it's really our Transformation Tuesday on a Saturday= Sa-Tuesday.

We actually tackled this room several months ago but never found the time to blog about it. It was when I was having my morning coffee in my freshly cleaned kitchen, with the sliding doors to our back deck open for Baloo to growl at the twin malteses in the neighboring yard, that I caught myself admiring how well our living/family room has come together in the last year that we've lived here. So after that extremely run on sentence of a thought, I decided it was high time to share it with the world. 

You may remember our post in March about our kitchen transformation (if not- check it out!) where we had posted this photo of our new- de-walled view to the living room:


Look past my beautiful friends, and note our TV stand in the background. 
I had bought an occasional table that was on sale for only $100 from Urban Barn. It had criss-crossed light wooden legs and a mat grey concrete top. It didn't match anything in our house. It didn't have any shelves to store any dvds just the one top for electronics. It didn't even  have a back to hide wires. 

Butttt...I bought it...yeah I did.. Hey! It was on sale-- It was on sale at Urban Barn! 
One does not pass up anything at Urban Barn that is on sale for $100! That's like the price of 2 regular priced throw pillows okay?!?!

So without consulting Derek, I paid- agreeing to the fully non refundable cancellation policy, threw it into the back of my suv, dragged it up the stairs of our home, and breathed a sigh of relief as it jussttt fit under the TV. *** Note to all TV console buyers- measure your TV before buying the table ;) ***


And here is a picture of Derek and Carsen playing video games. I thought it was a cute bromance moment, wanted to capture it on my camera, and then when I uploaded all my pictures, I was horrified at the state of my living room! Is that seriously MY living room?! HELLOO buyers remorse!

Wires galore and a side table stacked with dvds and video games! =(

So how do you hide wires behind a console table without a back?
1) do not buy a console table that does not work for your space at all just because it is on sale
2) punch a hole in the wall and run the wires down behind the tv
3) get creative! save your table and save your wall!


Watching trashy TV shows is classy when you have a pretty TV set up right?

Where did the wires go??? We boxed them in! We built a box around the wires with easy access by simply unscrewing a side panel. TADA!!!

Since then, we have also added wainscoting to either side and painted our walls grey. The grey paint was Derek's idea and though I was not 100% sold, I went with it. After all, he wasn't 100% that the wainscoting and 2x6 baseboards were going to turn out as I had planned but helped me turn my dream to reality anyway (thanks hubs). Here is how it all turned out!




And 1 year later...it finally feels like home sweet home; it finally feels like OUR home. 

Baloo's favorite spot is right beside a wicker basket we bought to conveniently tuck away dvds and video games. (Bar cart- turned display shelf will soon be on the blog)

What we love most about this space is how all the different colors and textures really came together and complimente one another- which is something a compulsive clearance buyer like me is very proud of!


 
So even though it took 1 year to get here. It was totally worth all the time and effort it took. A big thank you to Christina, my amazing friend, and my superwoman mother in law for coming over to help us paint! 

There's still so much to do, like actually hanging that painting and mantel above the fireplace, but today, I am happy with how far we have come. I'm thankful for our home sweet honey do list of a home.





No comments:

Post a Comment