Pages

9.13.2014

Junk-Me-Not: Bar Cart and Side Table

Refurbished Bar Cart:



And because today is a waiting around for my flight to Turks and Caicos kind of day... here is blog # 2 for the day!

So as promised, here is a post of our re-purposed bar cart and side table.

I actually found these on the side of the road as I was driving to work one day.
Someone had thrown them out on the sidewalk... why? Maybe because they were old, ugly, and outdated... just maybe.



I'm not sure what it was about these 2 pieces of junk that made me stop but I did. I peered at them from the comfort of the inside of my warm suv. Then in a moment of insanity, I braved the frosty winter air and threw them into the back of my suv. Then I drove to work.

At the end of the work day, on the drive home, I remember plotting how I was going to phrase "Hey babe! I found these pieces of junk that someone threw out and I love them!" in a way that Derek would allow me to keep them.

In the end, we made a deal that I would do all the work myself to refurbish them and if they did not pass his seal of approval, I would drive them to a dump site that very day.


Step 1: I spray painted the already gold legs with a fresh coat of gold paint. I LOVE gold! I have always loved it and you know what they say- why fix it if it aint broke? And gold aint broke so gold it stayed.


Step 2: The fruit had to go! Nothing against fruit art... they just didn't work with my vision. To be honest, I had no vision at this time... I just need a clean slate- so I painted the tray white.


Step 3: I didn't want to put a plain white tray against white wainscoting so I needed to add some color.


Final Product!

I love love love the way this turned out! I left the wheels transparent but spray painted the handles gold. And what is a piece of furniture without it's accessories?


Who doesn't love a gold skull?


Gold Skull: Z Gallerie (Scottsdale Arizona location)
Photo frame, photo albums, and vase: Homesense
Wicker Basket: Superstore
Bar Cart: Neighbor's Garbage ;)





After getting the seal of approval for the bar cart from Derek, I moved onto the side table.

Step 1: I sprayed the legs gold as well.
Step 2: I sanded the thick coat of laquer off the wood frame.
Step 3: I white washed the wood frame.
Step 4: We had an old black lamp so I painted the base of  it to match the bar cart trays.


And now they fit so perfectly into our space you would never know they were once another man's trash ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment