Pages

4.19.2016

Stressed Induced Eczema Attack- Not a Pretty Post

It was right after my lunch break. I do not normally eat at lunch. I go to the mall =P Mostly to window shop because my renos have my bank account on lock down. I did however grab a large pike place drip coffee from Starbucks and added my usual- 2 creams, 1 sweetener, and a bucket of cinnamon.
I felt an itch behind my ear and chose to ignore it.
When I got back to my office, the back of my ears and neck were buzzing and red. I thought I must be having some kind of allergic reaction to the scarf I’m wearing. I took it off but as the day progressed the itching only got worse. When I finally had a moment to go to the bathroom to check out the extent of the rash/hives, I found they were all over my neck- back and front.







I remembered that a few months ago my sister had a sudden rash on her chest and face. I texted her and found that she had taken oral allergy medication and hydro-cortisone cream. That night I took a reactin and the next day went to buy some cream. The rash had now spread to my face and chest. It was still the reddest behind my ears and at the base of my neck. I assumed it must have been the new leave in conditioner or dye my hair dresser had used when I had my hair done a few days before the reaction. I thought maybe it was a delayed reaction because I had mostly had my hair up in a bun after the dye.

I had put my hair up in a bun for the last few days so that it wouldn’t touch my neck, chest, and face. When I got home that day, I took a warm shower with just a bar of dove soap. I applied the cream and took another reactin.
The next day, the “hives” had spread to my shoulders and down my back and stomach. My face was literally covered. I couldn’t raise my eyebrows without deep wrinkles forming on my forehead because the skin had become so thick and dry.





I didn’t understand how these hives were spreading if I had been taking allergy meds, applying cream, showering with only water and soap, and keeping my hair away from my body and face. If this was an allergic reaction, the symptoms would be subsiding. Finally, I decided that I needed to see a doctor because it just wasn’t adding up.

The doctor took one look at me and asked if eczema ran in my family. I was shocked because yes, it did run in my family but the last time that anyone in my family had eczema or asthma was when my younger sister was a baby and I must have been no older than 3 or 4.  
She then asked me if I had been under a lot of stress lately. I had been a little run down but nothing I thought I couldn’t handle….






She told me that there is allergic eczema but this was just an eczema attack that was likely triggered by stress. She explained that eczema is hereditary and chronic and that just because I haven’t had eczema before it doesn’t mean I don’t have it and won’t get it again. I must have gotten a little teary eyed at this moment because she came closer and said “I know this is frustrating but you really must try to relax. You will get better. It will be okay.”


It all made sense. The more reactin and cream I took and put on, the more frustrated I was getting because they weren’t working. And the more frustrated and stressed I was getting, the more eczema would appear or spread. It’s now day 2 of me knowing what caused this outbreak and I’m happy to report that it has stopped spreading and has subsided a little on my face and ears. My chest, neck, and shoulders are still pretty bad but I’m sure it’s nothing some gym time followed by tea on the couch with some popcorn can’t fix. 


No comments:

Post a Comment