Pages

3.12.2014

Transformation Tuesday: White Washed Fireplace

Oh our big, red, brick fireplace..

Everything in this house, and I mean everything, was red.. Even our fireplace was red brick!
It doesn't look red in the photo below but trust me- it was very red!
This photo was taken during the home inspection. So, I'm very sorry to say that I cannot take credit for the tasteful stuffed animal head decor... yes... stuffed animal heads... why? Why?!



After months of staring at it and hoping one day I would magically fall in love with  the red brick, I finally came to my senses.. the red brick had to go.
So while Derek was at work I took the liberty to mix two different ratios of paint and water, grabbed a ladder, a brush, a rag, and got to work.





































And this is the finished product! 

Here's how I achieved this:

1) Make sure you dust or wipe down the brick before you start. If you don't, your brush is going to collect all that nasty stuff and you'll have to wash your brush every twp minutes.

2) I chose to white wash the brick with two different shades of white. I made one white wash mix with half part water and half part paint. For the other white wash mix, I used three quarters water, and one quarter paint.

3) Tip- keep your rag handy as white washing is a messy and drippy craft.

4) Use your imagination to map out which bricks you want to paint with the heavier paint mix and the lighter paint mix.




Next up- how to get rid of the randomly placed, protruding bricks and finding/making a mantel!




No comments:

Post a Comment